I first heard about this book on Pat Sloan’s podcast. She did an interview with Mellisa Corry and they talked about the book. Of course I went to Melissa’s web page, I fell in love with the quilts I saw. There are over 15 projects in the book… one quilt prettier then the next. So I bought it as a birthday gift to myself.
Melissa has a modern sensibility for the most part. Most of her quilt are based on tradition but she puts her unique twist on the blocks. Her instructions are pretty clear cut, easy to understand. ( Keep in mind I have not made a quilt from her directions yet.) Many of her quilts seem beginner friendly. She does a lot of strip piecing instead of just sewing patches together. I have never done a strip pieced quilt but I am willing to give it a try. I have heard it is easier than just piecing patches.
The chapters in the book are:
TWIST on TRADITION
There are 15 quilts in the book and I would make most of them. I see several that would make really cute baby quilts. The quilt with the little houses in a chain is one of my favorites. You will have to see the book to see the quilt.
Right now I am planning to make the quilt NORTH STAR … see below a picture from the book and my EQ7 version. I know for sure the red but not sure about the blue as I do not have a large assortment of blue fabrics. ( I am thinking scrappy)Maybe gold would be a better choice than the blue. I think this book is worth the money I spent and am already pulling fabrics from my stash for two of the quilts from the book.
. My co-worker’s 9 year old son had a stroke last month. He is finally home but goes to physical therapy daily. He has to wear a brace on his leg. My friend contact me to see if I could make him some pads to protect his leg from the brace strap. The brace comes with a foam pad but the foam pads cause sweating and become very uncomfortable. The foam pads tended to break when stress was put on the openings.
She sent me the measurements via Face-Book as she has not been back to work since he became ill. I have made 4 so far but plan to spend the weekend making more.
The pads are 2 by 4 inches with an opening for the one inch straps located a 1/2 inch from the edges. I have made several the first attempts being wonky as I found it hard to turn the little pads inside out. But after several attempts I have the sewing down so I can a nice looking pad.
My biggest problem is the BUTTON HOLE feature on my machine will not work. It seems like the button to turn it on is stuck and will not progress the stitches to form the button hole. I have made the button holes manually but they tend to be wonky. I am going to experiment and hopefully come up with a decent button hole. In the picture I put an arrow to the last pad I made and I can see definite improvement in the technique. I modified the size to 2.5 inches wide x 4 inches in length …. It makes the pad slightly larger and easier to sew.
Who knew something so simple could be so exasperating.
UPDATE: June 30, 2015
I found grading the batting so it is removed from inside the seam allowance before you “birth” ( turn inside out) the pad, helps to smooth the edges of the pad. I then could machine sew the closure with a top stitch. I have hand sewn some of the pads close while watching TV. I think it is mostly the choice of the sewer as both techniques worked.