My first assignment for my retirement is ……

I am thinking of retiring this year and already I am getting assignments . . . My assignment if I choose to accept …. make three    (?) quilts to be used as window shades . . . (to block light) for daughter’s pre-school class room. She raided my fabric stash to find my hoard of fabric I was saving for something… I guess this is it. She has since gone on line to buy more fabrics … We will be adding some bright solids / tone on tone to get enough yardage … not sure how yet.

SIZE 60 X 65 INCHES

GOT ANY ADVICE

f1-1206-r99-*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*

*
*

I am thinking I will using the people panel on the top and bottom of the shade. The small blocks and the larger animals will be fussy cut then framed. I will be using the stripe fabric as some of the frames. I will also use solid fabric and tone on tone in bright fabrics from my stash to make the frames.

f3- 1211-- 99r

*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*

*
I am thinking of splitting the sun, branch and caterpillar fabric and framing it with the bubble fabric on the other picture. I will put them at the top and bottom of the shade.  I will center the main panel….  using the food and butterfly fabric around it to get it to size.  If I need more blocks I will do raw edge applique of the caterpillar and butterfly… maybe some food.                 .

f2 - 1208- -99r

 

*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*

*

*

*

*

 

Not sure what I will do with these fabrics … They are on hold.  Looking for more book related fabric that is appropriate for the project.  I have Dr Suess fabric but I was saving it for a special grandchild…. so we will see.

HAPPY QUILTING,
NONNIE

Follow Me on Pinterest

https://nonniequiltingdreams.wordpress.com/ Nonnie’s Blog
http://nonniesquiltingdreams.podbean.com/ Nonnie’s Quilting Dream Podcast
Links for Nonnie’s Quilting Dreams
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER @NONNIE_P ….. @NONNIE_P
email me at: nonniequiltingdreams@gmail.com
.

IF I knew how to format this post properly we would not have any * * astricks * * on the side of the pictures.
.

.

 

Advertisements

Now that this quilt has been gifted … I can post some pictures

THIS quilt has gone to my niece, Kristi,  and her great husband David.  I am just going to post pictures as I have posted in progress pictures in the past.  I will say the quilt pattern was inspired by FOCUS POCUS by Swirly Girl Designs.  ( BEWARE of really big pictures because I am so proud of this quilt.)

Quilting is done by LISA BURMANN QUILTING STUDIO,  DRYDEN MI

LISA BURMAN QUILT STUDIO in Dryden Michigan

PINTREST Board of some of LISA’s Work

 

FALL SPLENDOR k q 1 k q 3

*

Updated:

FABRIC from my stash
Black KONA
BLACK and GOLD Border Fabric
I started this quilt in the fall of 2014. I initially found the pattern in a quilt in a quilt show or at a guild meeting. To be honest I do not remember where I saw the quilt but I had taken a picture of it. I tried finding the pattern but did not find anything until months later I found the PINTEREST BOARD dedicated to FOCUS POCUS PATTERN after I started my own quilt. There I found 100s of patterns for Focus Pocus and links to the Swirly Girl Designs web page on Pinterest.

Finding the pattern, my girl friend and I ordered the pattern but it was too late for me. I had already started on my quilt several months before. I had drafted the pattern in EQ7. I had figured out I wanted the focus fabrics to use 14 inches square. Using fat quarters from my stash I was able to cut the center and the four side pieces from the fat quarters. Some of the fabrics were directional but I was able to cut the side patches with that in mind. None of the fabrics are identical but I have several of similar style and print. I tried to balance the fabrics on my design wall.

I later designed the B BLOCK once again using EQ7. Each block had a center of gold once again from my stash. Each patch was of a different fabric with no repeats. Kona Black was used for the side patches that created the illusion of a larger block.

The border was 4 yards of a fabric I fell in love with years ago and had been saving. This was the perfect quilt to use it. I cut the binding off and set it aside for later use. I left the rest of the fabric alone planning to cut the borders after I had pieced the quilt top and knew the size I wanted it to be. I aimed for 100 x100 with the knowledge that the quilt top like all my quilts would grow in size and take on a life of its own.

*

HAPPY QUILTING,
NONNIE

Follow Me on Pinterest

https://nonniequiltingdreams.wordpress.com/ Nonnie’s Blog
http://nonniesquiltingdreams.podbean.com/ Nonnie’s Quilting Dream Podcast
Links for Nonnie’s Quilting Dreams
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER @NONNIE_P ….. @NONNIE_P
email me at: nonniequiltingdreams@gmail.com